Sunday, July 27, 2014

Meet Alex: A letter from his sister Emily.



Hi there Misty, my name is Emma. I may not have the same situation going on, but I dealt with a similar situation that you're going through with my brother Alex. Alex was diagnosed with high functioning autism and ADHD when he was 7 years old. He's been struggling with it ever since. He had been in a group home since he was 18 (NOT mine or his choice, but my mom's. She realized it was a BIG mistake). He will be 23 in November this year. The caretaker of the home Janelle, seemed nice at first. However, after a couple months she stopped taking our phone calls and claimed she didn't know how to work the answering machine! We hardly saw my brother because she said he was being hostile. When we eventually saw him, he had gained 70 lbs in a matter of 3 months and was on so many different medications that he really looked like a zombie. It was heartbreaking for me, I love my brother and have always stood by his side. They would hardly allow us. HIS FAMILY to see him. And his program that he was in was having a Christmas formal last year. He got fitted for a tux and everything but the night before, Janelle said he was forbidden to go. We were not told this until a few months ago when he graduated from the program. My mom was moving to Idaho and wanted to take Alex with her, away from that abusive home to be rehabilitated. So he could go back to his happy energetic self and not continue to be the lethargic zombie they turned him into! When mom told Janelle this she fought to keep Alex there and told mom that's not whats best for Alex. She even tried to get me to go behind my mom's back and have me tell her what mom told me in confidence. I didn't and that made her angry she proceeded to tell me that Alex had been acting out since mom said she was leaving the state and taking him with her. BULLSHIT! She fought hard, but mom had the full support of friends and family and eventually Janelle gave up and I'm happy to say that my brother is now living in Boise with my mom and he's being treated to get all those drugs out of his system. Only a month of being there and I already can see a change in him he smiles more and can actually hold a conversation again He can form full sentences again! My point is, I know its hard honey but I'm here for you and you have my love and support all the way and I hope you get Jimmy away from those people! They only see him as a meal ticket. money and nothing else. And that's why they fight so hard because they don't want to lose that $500 a month. I have included a picture of Alex and my mom as morale support, they are by your side as well.

Stay strong and fight hard!!

-Emily Jane Mata Clovis, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment