Monday, September 15, 2014

To the Honorable Judge Wright:









Misty Davis
Cedar Rapids, Iowa





September 15, 2014

To the Honorable Judge Wright:

My name is Misty M. Davis. I am the daughter of a deceased Vietnam Veteran who died from Agent Orange and I currently reside in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Our family has been alienated from someone whom we love with down syndrome due to Guardianship Laws. Personally, I've worked in a care facility for the disabled and elderly for nearly four years and have NEVER seen this kind of injustice. Families have the right to complain and speak up as an advocate for their loved ones and their concerns need to be addressed. Candice Schwager and I have known each other for the last six months through Facebook, and have yet to meet. She's an exception to the rule of attorneys and actually cares for her clients well being. Her compassion for others is highly noticeable through the many advocacy groups we both belong to via Facebook as well as the websites she created to bring accountability to this issue.

Candice has expressed her concerns on occasion and frustration with attorneys she's dealt with. Personally, I've dealt with similar issues having my own brother being restricted from our entire family. It's stressful and can wear a person down emotionally and physically. Seeing Ruby's ordeal really pulls on my heart strings knowing this can happen to anyone at any age. While working with the elderly and disabled not once did I witness a resident being forced to ingest medication and or restrained in any way unless they were violent and truly a danger to themselves or others.

On January 17, 2013 my father and brothers advocate passed away and at this moment our world crumbled. My brothers rights were stripped.He lost a massive amount of weight, began defecating himself, can no longer see family or attend church. We've been fighting the probate courts for the last year and spent a massive amount of money to get nowhere.

Elder abuse and abuse of the disabled is at an all time high as well as financial exploitation. Laws are set in place to protect the elderly and disabled. In all reality these laws need to be changed to protect the voices of the voiceless. Money is the root of all evil and daily I read the stories of others who are going through the same struggle and all I can do is wonder why? Why haven't we made a change to protect the fragile?

Alienation and abuse of the elderly and disabled is certainly not a new issue. And those on social media and being brought up to date on all the issues with our unjust system. You'd think caregivers would have a heart and come forward. Due to fear of losing their jobs they tend to keep quiet. Dealing with my brothers case I've observed this on many occasions. Being a caregiver to the elderly and disabled automatically enrolls one to be a mandatory reporter and for those fearful of losing their employment instead of saving a life should give a clear indication of the ethics of the company.

Your time is valuable and appreciate you taking in what I have to say. I am writing to express the urgency of this issue. Lawmakers and judges need to stand up to protect the elderly and disabled also known as wards of the State. Ruby's case is not the only case I've followed and continue to educate myself on. Many others in Florida are dealing with the atrocity of this and we need to protect the vulnerable from abuse and exploitation. The public needs to know what's happening in our communities and around the Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment